Thursday, November 21, 2013

Six Successful Spin-Offs That Give How I Met Your Dad a Chance

In a very snarky article on The Observer, the writer claims How I Met Your Dad will be a disaster because except for Private Practice, the spin-off to Grey's Anatomy, there have never been any successful spin-offs. Really? Never? Only one you can think of? It's not even the only spin-off on the air.

I love snark, but the secret to succesful snark is don't be wrong. I can do this from memory, but maybe the writer should have done 30 seconds of research. I have a list of six successful spin-offs. I'm sure there's more, but I, too, could not be bothered to do 30 seconds of research.


1. Happy Days

Happy Days lasted 11 seasons and spun-off from a segment of Love, American Style. The show went on to launch six spin-offs of its own.


2. Laverne & Shirley

Laverne & Shirley, one of the Happy Days spin-offs, lasted for 8 seasons and launched the careers of Penny Marshall, Cindy Williams, and Michael McKean.


3. Mork & Mindy

To be fair, Mork & Mindy - another Happy Days spin-off - only lasted four seasons, but that's not the only measure of success. The show became iconic, can be found in reruns to this day, and launched the career of Robin Williams.


4. The Facts of Life

The Facts of Life lasted for 9 seasons. That's one season longer than its predecessor, Diff'rent Strokes.


5. Family Matters

At nine seasons, Family Matters lasted one season longer than its predecessor Perfect Strangers. Yes, Steve, you did do that.


6. The Simpsons

I saved the best for last. Currently in its 25th season and renewed for a 26th, the longest running and most iconic show on television, which has an empire to its name, was a spin-off of The Tracey Ullman Show.

Six spin-offs that weren't just successful, but many were more successful than the show it spun-off from.  And then there's The Simpsons, to which nothing can compare.


At this point, I would like to give an honorable mention to Daria, which lasted five seasons. It's not that I think it's less deserving, it's that I forgot it was a spin-off to Beavis & Butt-Head until right this second and I'm too lazy to re-do the list.

Again, if you're going to be snarky, don't be wrong. How about we judge shows on their own merits?

No comments:

Post a Comment